Houston we have a problem…did I check this table for flatness before installing it? I honestly can’t remember.
UPDATE: Houston disregard previous transmission. Okay I decided to go loosen the trunnion bolts just now to see if that made any difference, nada no change. So I took the feeler gauges to get some accurate measurements of the gaps…they seemed less than I originally thought. So I removed the alignment pin and presto the gaps increased. I was surprised that even the low spots at the rear of the table moved…okay interesting. So I put the pin back in and set my Starrett 24” rule on the table as I tapped in the pin, I could watch the gaps to the rear of the miter slot get smaller then vanish, cool I thought, then I moved the rule in front of the miter slot, the crown had vanished but a cup had formed. So I backed out the pin and tried again. Long story short I found a sweet spot that should work. The gaps in the rear of the table are less than .0015 as that feeler gauge was a no go. The rest of the gaps at various points on the table now vary from .0015 go .002 no go, .002 go .003 no go and one .003 go .004 no go so the largest gap is now .003 which I think is fine.
Who knew that alignment pin was so touchy and could tweak the rear of this big thick table even, lesson learned.
Here I had applied some Boeshield to the bottom to prevent rust.
UPDATE: This issue has been resolved, see above update.
Yes I installed the table, the fence, the stop bolt, the tilt mechanism, had the fence aligned to less than .001 then put my Starrett 24” rule across it and found this…that’s at the back of the table. The table is crowned (low on both sides) and it gets worse towards the front. The split area of the table is a hopeless cause, even with the alignment pin tapped in pretty solid the right side is still considerably higher than the left. Your talking .020 to .025. So I’ll give Grizzly a call tomorrow. I am going to loosen the trunnion bolts to make sure bolting it down didn’t pull it out of whack.
Continuing on…this first pic is the factory screw for bolting on the table tilt sliding plate. The paper instructions say its a hex bolt, the on-line instructions say its a M6 10mm cap screw, its actually a M6 12mm cap screw and its still too short. No way I trust 4 threads in cast iron, especially since Grizzly seems to tap them on the loose side. In the second picture I picked up some M6 16mm screws and used those instead. M6 20mm are too long by the way, the hole is deep enough but they don’t tap it all the way down.
Here is the underside of the fence, there are two set screws to take the slop out of the fence/rail when the handle is released and you are re-positioning it. One is secured with a nut (the fence pointer attaches here with another nut) the other is a really sloppy loose fit in the threads, this set screw has my vote for the part most likely to fall off the saw so I applied some blue locktite. The fence rail is a few thousandths under 1”, I used my digital caliper to adjust these set screws to .998 and that was a good fit. Just loose enough that the fence moves smoothly without hanging up.
Here’s a shot of this fence, its really nice. That 1” square rail is solid metal and highly polished chrome. Grizzly has so many models priced so closely together you really have to look for these different bits, in this case the fence difference between the G0514X2B vs the slightly less expensive G0514X2. The X2 has a ”deluxe fence” vs the X2B which has a ”heavy duty fence”. The heavy duty fence is the one they offer on the bigger 21”, 24” saws, and the $2,400-$3,100 ultimate saws.
That’s it for part 2, I should be able to finish up this assembly in part 3 and move on to assembly of the Shop Fox mortiser which is still sitting in its crate.
Update 11/18/2013 – well I’m still waiting on parts for both the bandsaw and mortiser…and the 12” table saw is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow lol. I did test fit some 4” dust collector hose and a Y adapter to the bandsaw. I have decided I want this to be rigid so now I’ll pick up the rigid fittings. I did get the 20 amp 220 breaker and outlet installed, wired up a 12 gauge 20’ extension cord and fired up the saw, ran fine and fairly quiet, it stops FAST! Power push buttons feel cheesy to me though, I’m half tempted to replace them with industrial quality.