Here in part 1 I finally get my tool stand issue sorted out. I had previously determined the Shop Fox super heavy duty mobile base I purchased was way to tippy and sloppy for this saw. The sum of the slop in the mobile base wheels and pads, flex in the stand under the weight, not having the saw bolted down, etc. was not acceptable and I hadn’t even put the cast iron table on yet. It was not going to tip over I just don’t like my tools moving, period.
After much thought I ruled out casters altogether which sucked because I had found some really cool cast iron hub/urethane casters…I will find a reason to buy them later ahaha!
So in the first picture you can see I decided to bolt the saw down to a maple base fitted with low profile machine pads. For a 24×36 inch piece of maple bench top local stores wanted a staggering $269…I don’t know what they are drinking 190 proof Everclear maybe. Fortunately I found the same 24×36 inch top at Grizzly for $77 plus four 3” machine pads good to 1,600 pounds.
Here you can see the slope in my garage floor, the rear pads are all the way up the front pads are all the way down. That’s in only 36 inches, apparently the building code police are afraid some water might puddle on the floor geesh!
Here I have completed the layout and drilled both the leveling pad holes 7/16” and lag bolt pilot holes 1/4” for the saw. I spent quite a bit of time laying out the pilot holes because I had just one try to get it right. I later drilled out the pilot holes to 5/16” as I felt the lag bolts were too tight going in, 5/16” turned out to be perfect for the 3/8” lag bolts.
Here’s the Grizzly machine pad rated at 1,600 pounds. This was overkill on weight but not on size, I wanted a fairly wide 3” pad. I sourced leveling pads all over the place and these were an excellent value. I did replace the factory threaded rods as they were too short for the maple base. I also went with thinner jam nuts to keep it as low profile as possible. I used blue locktite on both.
Here’s the hard rubber bottom.
Here I used threaded inserts on the bottom hence the larger 7/16” hole for these.
Here it is installed
Finally another trip to Harbor Freight for a chain hoist to lift this tall beast. Tomorrow I’ll open up the box of goodies and continue assembly.