In an attempt to push my segmenting skills, and release some pent up artistic desires, I’ve started work on a sculpture. Not wanting to bother with building something functional, I decided to focus just on the form aspect of the piece. I drew out the design on graph paper to help with the layout of the segmented rings and got to work. There are three seperate sections of the sculpture that will be attached in an as-of-yet-undecided fashion. The design concept is that of an abstract flower.
The first section of the sculpture is eight inches tall and has a diameter of about five inches. There are 384 segments in this section. I am quite happy with how the first section compares to my initial drawings. Though I will readily admit that turning this piece is much more complicated than any of the bowls or wine bottle stoppers I have ever done! But, afterall, that is really kind of the point of this piece!
The second section of the sculpture grows out from the middle of the first section. This section is about seven inches in diameter and six inches tall. So far I have only turned the outside of section two, I hope to start turning the inside later tonight.
One of my favorite aspects of this piece so far is that you cannot see to the bottom of the inside of section one where section two will be connected. I like that sense of mystery and was happy to see that transition in 3D.
Once I finish turning the inside of section two I’ll start work on section three.
~~~ any comments/critiques would be wonderful ~~~