Significant progress: I assembled the rear half of the top! In the previous blog post, I ran the 2×4s through the planer to take them to 1-1/4” thick. I had to use the jointer plane on several to take out some bend or crook so that they would glue up nicely. Then I started the glue-up! One of the biggest reasons I come to LumberJocks is for the photos, and I bet that’s true of others, too, so I made sure to take some.
Nine wide, and I have a problem: my 12” clamps are not big enough to continue. A friend loaned me some of his larger clamps, though, so it was a problem easily overcome.
The final width, at eleven pieces wide and 1-1/4 each means the rear half of the top is 13-3/4” wide. It weighs just about 60 pounds. Out of the clamps, I worked at cleaning it up a little. On the bottom (shown below), there was some small twist to take care of and just one high spot; it’s very, very flat now. The top received a rough planing, taking off most of the glue marks, but that’s it.