LumberJocks

Cabinetmaker's Toolchest

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by dannorocks updated 02-12-2017 06:47 PM 7 parts 6633 reads 23 comments total

Part 1: Cutting the box material, glue up and smoothing.

11-13-2015 09:40 PM by dannorocks | 3 comments »

Well this is my first attempt at a blog here; so here’s my go at it. About a year ago I came across a handful of older hand tools at an estate sale and since then I’ve put them to use and have been accumulating more and more hand tools. I recently moved and felt ashamed to put them in carboard boxes and crates I quickly made to get by with the time constraint. Now that I’m setting up shop all over again from scratch (divorce), literally from the ground up. I have the...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Dovetailing the case and bottom skirt

11-15-2015 04:40 PM by dannorocks | 3 comments »

With the jointed boards smoothed of tool marks and lumber yard stamps I’m ready to dovetail. I chose 1:6 ratio since I’m using pine, and will cut the tails first. I chose to lay out a tail 1” from the edge of long boards then used my dividers to space out my tails so that the opposite edge has a tail 1” from the edge of the board. Once I was happy with that I decided to go with 1” wide tails and drew out the boards and began cutting them out with my only back...

Read this entry »


Part 3: More progress...casters

12-23-2015 12:18 AM by dannorocks | 4 comments »

Well progress hasn’t been that great for me lately since my last entry in November. I spent a few hours in the shop and put battons on the bottom and installed the casters. I set the skirt a inch past the batton to hide the casters (Harbor Freight) and it looks good and moves around well. I still need to plane down the end grain of my skirt’s dovetails, but here’s what I have done so far. I’m looking forward to build the drawers. I still haven’t decided ex...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Tool rack and drawers

03-03-2016 04:58 AM by dannorocks | 2 comments »

I set the tool chest build aside for some time due to work out of town and I needed a table and seating for the table. Now that I got those two projects done I made a simple tool rack for my chisels and backsaws. I laid out a board the length of the chest that’ll be the front and glued blocks between chisels and the saws and ensured they had room to hang and not interrupt each other. Then I planed down oak for the runners and installed same. Then I planed down material to ...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Building the lid part 1

03-03-2016 05:11 AM by dannorocks | 2 comments »

I was thinking of making a raised panel for the lid. But I haven’t used my old Stanley 48 I picked up at an estate sale yet and I wanted to put the bucktooth tongue and groove plane back to work. So I glued up and planed the panel and planed it down. Planing down the panel with the old No. 6. Smoothing done. Ole’ Bucktooth is back at it again, making the tongue. The previous owner spray painted it and I did the best I could to remove some so it didn’t mar...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Building the lid part 2

02-12-2017 06:33 PM by dannorocks | 2 comments »

Lid finally finished. Here’s a pictures of the build process. Dovetailed the lid support to be later attached to the lid panel. Quick dry fit of the panel and support before glue up. Final lid glue up. No pictures of the hardware install, but I built a back support as well using my bevel gauge to let the lid rest on and set the chain as partial support. And finally I needed a resting place for my panel saws so I built a hand hole holder that quickly releases the saws.

Read this entry »


Part 7: Finishing

02-12-2017 06:47 PM by dannorocks | 7 comments »

This toolchest in part has been the longest ongoing project I’ve built. I did finish this in March of 2016, and am realizing I never finished the blog build so here it is. Now that all jointery has been completed, it was time to plane down the proud parts of dovetailing, some scraping, sanding and I then put two coats of Zinnister shellac on- inside and out. Sanded between coats. Then I applied two coats of black milk paint. Sanded between coats and then applied a light boiled l...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com