So it’s been pretty slow going as of late. The top is proving to be trickier than I’d anticipated and I got sidetracked with a slew of house related tasks. The main issue I’ve had with the top is being able to effectively mill such large pieces.
Initially I got hung up trying to flatten the faces of the top; I’d been using my jointer to do this but the bed simply isn’t long enough to joint 7′ long boards. However I came to the realization (with help from some fellow jocks) that I didn’t need it perfectly flat along it’s length, I just needed it flat enough whereby I could clamp it flat during the glue up.
So my new tack is to just plane it so that both faces are flat-ish, and parallel to one another, then ‘joint’ it with a rip cut on my tablesaw. I’m using the tablesaw with a 9′ straight edge attached to the fence. Using this technique I’m slowly but surely getting the top built.
I do have the parts for the base milled though but I’d really like to get the top out of the way before doing any more work there.
-- I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso