LumberJocks

Homemade Band Saw

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by dakremer updated 05-15-2014 08:47 PM 9 parts 43791 reads 84 comments total

Part 1: Getting started...

03-08-2013 06:10 PM by dakremer | 10 comments »

I’ve been keeping my eye on WoodGears for a while now. I’d love to build all of his contraptions, but don’t have the time or the space at the moment. I’ve been wanting to build his bandsaw for some time now, and finally took the plunge. Plus I just got my tax refund back, and instead of buying an expensive bandsaw (a tool I currently do not own), why not just make one? I will try and keep the blog current and take as many pictures as I can. Hopefully most of the p...

Read this entry »


Part 2: A little further...

03-10-2013 04:35 AM by dakremer | 9 comments »

Didnt get as much done today as I had hoped. I finished the template contraption on the MDF, to help with keeping things square during glue up…. I rough cut, to length, all of the frame pieces and straightened one edge on the jointer… ...still need to rip them to width on the table saw and cut them to actual length, which I just barely got started with… The scraps are starting to pile up though… Sorry there’s not much to this blog ent...

Read this entry »


Part 3: 2 steps forward, 1 step backwards

03-13-2013 11:34 PM by dakremer | 4 comments »

Ran into some trouble today. Got all of my pieces cut to exact width and exact length. My goal is to make the frame as accurate as possible so once its all glued together, there won’t be a lot of fussing with it. All lengths and widths of the frame boards are within .05 cm. Close enough. This is where my problems start. I started dry fitting all the pieces into my jig and realized they weren’t fitting properly. I knew all my wood was as close to exact as I could get...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Gluing up the frame

03-19-2013 12:13 AM by dakremer | 8 comments »

Today I started gluing up the frame, after I reprinted the template and rethought out how i wanted to put my stops. I didnt use as many, as I wanted more room for clamps… One of the vertical beam parts is designed to have a diagonal notch cut out to allow the triangle corners to fit. I screwed up, and cut the wrong angle, so I just cut it to 90 degrees instead. There will be a little gap in the fame at this point in every other layer, but I will just fill it later. I dont thi...

Read this entry »


Part 5: The plan is working!

03-20-2013 05:14 PM by dakremer | 6 comments »

My plan to use the jig to glue up the frame is working out beautifully. I used my inclinometer to measure for any twist in the frame at the furtherest ends of the horizontal arms (the parts that hold the wheels). I found only a 0.1 degree difference… I’m also up to my 4th layer glue up. I dont have any pictures of the 4th layer being clamped down, but here is a pic of the mock up before clamps/glue… I’m going to Colorado for a long weekend vaca...

Read this entry »


Part 6: finished frame and some odds and ends

04-03-2013 04:08 AM by dakremer | 11 comments »

I finally finished the frame, or at least got it all glued up! I still need to do some cosmetic sanding to make it look nice, and there are a few notches I need to cut out of it still. All-in-all, I couldnt have asked for it to come out nicer. Everything seems to be square with no twists! I REALLY wanted to get started making the wheels, as I anticipate that as being the most fun part! However, I do not have the shafting, bearings, or motor yet! I plan on buying the motor in t...

Read this entry »


Part 7: Wheels

08-13-2013 02:41 AM by dakremer | 7 comments »

2 videos in this blog: If they do not load, refresh the page I have been working on the band saw off-and-on for a while now. Its time to get this thing finished! Here are some pics of how I made the wheels. I ended up making 3 wheels. My first wheel turned out nicely, except there is a little wobble to it (might have to redo it). The second wheel I made seemed fine, but as I was gluing the bearings to it, I realized it was badly warped. Not sure if it became warped after I glued it...

Read this entry »


Part 8: It's Alive!!

08-22-2013 04:50 PM by dakremer | 13 comments »

This was my first time turning the bandsaw on. So far so good. In my previous blog entry I stated that I might have to remake the top wheel – from the video you can see there’s a pretty good amount of wobble in it compared to the bottom wheel. I’m not sure if this will effect the performance or not since the wobble doesnt effect the crown of the wheel (you can see the blade stays nice and straight). It’s a little loud right now because I dont have the rubber arou...

Read this entry »


Part 9: Bandsaw running...

05-15-2014 08:47 PM by dakremer | 16 comments »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9QzZ1xVC51s I’ve been kind of slacking with this bandsaw. I had to redo both wheels because the first time I did not glue them up nice and flat. I lost interest/got busy for a while, and put it off. I’m now determined to get it finished!! I shot this quick video of it running after I remade the wheels. The wheels aren’t balanced yet, so there is some vibration – you can see the Nickel is standing...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com