Ran into some trouble today.
Got all of my pieces cut to exact width and exact length. My goal is to make the frame as accurate as possible so once its all glued together, there won’t be a lot of fussing with it. All lengths and widths of the frame boards are within .05 cm. Close enough.
This is where my problems start. I started dry fitting all the pieces into my jig and realized they weren’t fitting properly. I knew all my wood was as close to exact as I could get – going off the cut-sheet list. My thought was the template was off….
So I started measuring the template and got really confused. All of the widths were right on but the lengths were off. I contacted Matthias to make sure the template was indeed drawn to perfect scale – he assured me it was.
I had a choice to make. 1) Continue putting the frame together without my jig, seeing how i KNEW the boards were correct and try making it as square as possible, or 2) recut the boards to make it fit to the template.
So before I went through the trouble of doing recutting everything, I went to Zephyr Copies and got the 1:1 template printed out on one big piece of paper. This will correct any user error with taping up the template. i wish I would have done this right away. The new template was right on. So I glued the new template to the back of the MDF…..
Now I have to reset all of my stops and start the jig over. Lesson learned – MAKE SURE THE TEMPLATE IS TRULY 1:1 SCALE. Also if available to you, get the thing printed so you don’t have to tape together 20 sheets. It only cost me about $4 to get it printed.
I wont be able to work on it again until Monday, so will try to update you guys Monday night of my progress. Hopefully all goes smoothly from here on out!
The shop is starting to get messy…
-- Hey you dang woodchucks, quit chucking my wood!!!!