LumberJocks

Restoring an old Brace with Brit #2: Trying to fix my screw up....

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by dakremer posted 08-17-2011 10:04 PM 5322 reads 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: The rust is coming off..... Part 2 of Restoring an old Brace with Brit series Part 3: I cheated a little. Sorry Brit :) »

So if you saw the first blog in this series, you can tell that my chuck did not come out very well. I got all the rust off, but filing it (which i’ve never done before) and sanding it by hand did not work out too well for me, to say the least. I wanted to rectify the situation, so decided to do something different. I do not have a chuck for the lathe, so I had to be creative with going about this…..

if you can’t tell by the pictures…the holes at each end of the chuck are different sizes and I wanted to mount this on the lathe so I can sand it and buff it out. So I turned a square piece of pine into a dowel with two different sizes to fit each size hole. Then i remounted it in the lathe with the chuck on it and buffed it out. I didnt get ALL the scratches out – but it is definitely better than before.

-- Hey you dang woodchucks, quit chucking my wood!!!!



5 comments so far

View Tim Kindrick's profile

Tim Kindrick

369 posts in 1242 days


#1 posted 08-17-2011 10:17 PM

Pure genius!!! Great job!!! Can’t wait to see more of your blog and Brit’s as well!! Good Luck!!!!

-- I have metal in my neck but wood in my blood!!

View Brit's profile

Brit

5220 posts in 1530 days


#2 posted 08-17-2011 11:15 PM

Very creative Doug. Nice save. Have you fitted your jaws back properly? They don’t seem to be meeting together very well and they did before you dismantled it. You might want to take a look at that.

-- Andy -- Old Chinese proverb say: If you think something can't be done, don't interrupt man who is doing it.

View thejaz's profile

thejaz

40 posts in 1170 days


#3 posted 08-18-2011 12:58 AM

Brilliant! Can’t wait to see when it’s ’brand new’ ! ;-)

-- Tom Snyder - theJaz

View thejaz's profile

thejaz

40 posts in 1170 days


#4 posted 08-19-2011 05:49 PM

Hey Doug—I ran across this story and I thought about your project :
http://makeprojects.com/pdf/make/guide_1224_en.pdf

Hmm… I might have to make me one of these ;-)
Tom

-- Tom Snyder - theJaz

View dakremer's profile

dakremer

2466 posts in 1779 days


#5 posted 08-22-2011 05:52 AM

Hey Brit – Yeah the jaws fit properly, i just had them in there funny in the pic. I took them apart and repositioned them and they seemed to line up fine

Thanks thejaz for that article! That is cool – one of these days i’m gonna build an electrolysis bucket thing-a-ma-jig! they look really cool and really easy to use. especially for the bigger parts where you’d have to waste/use a lot of rust-remover!

-- Hey you dang woodchucks, quit chucking my wood!!!!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase