Finally did a bit of work on the wedge and a blade. The wedge was fashioned from a piece of Jacaranda (light cream/pink in colour). A nice contrast to the deep red/brown of the body. In shaping the wedge, I ensured initially that there was an even distribution of loading along the length of the blade from the wedge, however, I then dished out a very small hollow (micro hollow) from the bearing surface of the wedge to put more emphasis of loading to both ends of the wedge over the blade. This achieved the locking in of the blade at the cutting end. the idea is to make sure that there is enough load without creating such stresses that will force the bed to crack under load and separate from the body at the back of the mouth.
It looks to have worked as there are no movements when I put the plane to use. I am still making some adjustments to the surface of the bed, but in general its come out better than I had anticipated…..so I am happy.
To make the blade. As a simple test exercise I used an old large hack saw blade from which to fashion this blade. Its not perfect in shape – but it will do as a test run. In just over 2 weeks – we have our Brisbane Woodworking Show – so i’ll be looking to buy some nice tool steel specifically for this plane.
Anyway here are some photos of the final assembly of the plane.
afterthought…....i’ll need to shape the end of the wedge to allow for shavings to be eliminated and not allow them to build up into the narrow space that currently exists above the blade…......
-- regards, cyclops4069