New Shop - from the ground , up. #10: Dust collection help, please? Ridgid TS 3612, Ridgid JP06101, Grrizzly sander G1014Z

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by curliejones posted 12-24-2014 02:48 PM 1930 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 9: Incorporating "stolen" ideas Part 10 of New Shop - from the ground , up. series Part 11: The annex? »

This is new to me and I’ve searched a bit but not found specifically what I need to know. I have a small dust collector, Jet DC650, bought used and this is my first set up. I have the Ridgid TS 3612 with a dust shroud beneath it. The outlet is 4” diameter but it is stepped as though there should be a hard pipe inserted into it. Kinda reminds me of a plumbing elbow where the pipe would be inserted into it.
I also have a Ridgid jointer model JP06101 with a 4” diameter dust outlet, but the jointer has a smooth pipe as though a dust collection hoe should fit just over it with a band clamp.
Anyone having this saw may be able to tell me if the common union for joining two sections of DC 4” hose is what is needed to fit inside the stepped outlet of the table saw.
I have seen others comments saying their TS3612 is fitted with a dust tray that accommodates a shop vac hose. Not the case here – MY outlet is 4” but is stepped inside as though it needs a hard fitting placed within that inch and to which a 4” hose would then attach.

The Grizzly sander has only a 2” outlet and I’m not sure whether an adapter of 2” x 4” is what is needed or would there be a few inches of 2” hose that connects to the sander and then to an adapter that would accept the 4” hose. I’m in a rural location with no retail nearby and want to nail this down before ordering and having parts shipped.

I plan to upgrade my bag, build an accompanying chip collector (dual stage) and have the set up on wheels to hook up (quickly if possible) to whatever tool I want to use. I picture the system living beside my miter saw, which seems to be the most commonly used tool in the shop. For the 12” miter saw, I hope to fashion a hood behind it and attach a fitting for the 4” hose.

Thanks for any advice for these specific applications. I have already read quite a bit about the generalities, but have not found info regarding these specific tools.
Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas to all you LJs!

-- Like Guy Clark sez - "Sometimes I use my head, Sometimes I get a bigger hammer"

1 comment so far

View Grumpymike's profile


2260 posts in 2339 days

#1 posted 12-24-2014 05:20 PM

OK, let’s take them one at a time here … The TS 3612 has been modified by the previous owner with an after market dust port, so I would take some measurements of the inside and outside Dia. and look at one of the woodworker supply stores like ‘Rockler’ and find the fitting you need (maybe an adapter?) ... there are many and confusing at first, but hang in there.
On my old Rigid 2424 it was a 2-1/4” fitting for a Shop-Vac, but the 4” was available.

On the Jointer, you are right, either the hose slips over the port or the plastic hose-end slips over it … measure it to tell for sure. (hose-ends are available at your supply store)

On your Grizzley, the port will be either 2” or 2-1/4” and there are indeed adapters available. (A 2” will slip inside a 2-1/4” fitting and the 2-1/4” hose will slip over it for use with a band clamp).

Look at the Woodcraft, Rockler or other catalogues to see what is available, then decide how you want your system to work. Just a side note, I made a lot of mine with a circle cutter and scraps of wood glued together …

I hope this helps.

-- Grumpy old guy, and lookin' good Doin' it. ... Surprise Az.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics