• Advertise with us
Blog series by cpd011 updated 02-12-2013 05:01 PM 4 parts 11375 reads 3 comments total

Part 1: The Dunnage Workbench

02-12-2013 03:28 PM by cpd011 | 0 comments »

Hello all! Let me first just say that I should change my name to The Lurker. I don’t post much but I might be tied with some of you for the most page views. I check lumberjocks more times every day than my wife checks facebook. Though I built a workbech when we first bought our house four years ago (24 hr. workbench), lem with woodI have never been totally satisfied with it. It has served me well but I have serious workbench envy. I’m a hobbyist and make/fix things around the h...

Read this entry »

Part 2: Milled the boards

02-12-2013 04:01 PM by cpd011 | 1 comment »

The pieces for the top got milled up. Not wanting to by a long piece of oak from the store and needing a long reference piece for the front and rear of the bench I decided to finger joint three pieces of oak for each. You may be able to see it in one of the later pictures. By the way this project is mostly done and I’m writing this after the fact. I feel a little guilt for never really posting anything. I used biscuits and a lot of glue and glued the top up in three sections on th...

Read this entry »

Part 3: Wagon vise, end caps and dog holes

02-12-2013 04:11 PM by cpd011 | 0 comments »

I borrowed a friend’s #5 Hercules/Sargent plane to smooth the top. It was in rough shape due to a garage fire and Chicago’s bravest’s prompt and generous water usage. After a little elbow grease and scary sharp. Here’s the prerequisite shaving shot. Wifey has to use the computer back in a few.!

Read this entry »

Part 4: Back to the dogs and Wagon

02-12-2013 05:01 PM by cpd011 | 2 comments »

That was one of the more satisfying things I’ve done woodworking. The planing of course. That 5 worked like a dream. I instantly ebayed an old stanley for 30 bucks. I can’t wait until ot shows up. The wagon vise rides in to 3/4 inch dadoes that I put in before glueing up the top. Oak runners are screwed to the sides of the chop. I used a jorgensen 12” veneer press screw that cost $20. With a little wax on the runners, it slides like..something very slippery. The caps I pu...

Read this entry »

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics