Well, I have never blogged in my soon to be 40 yrs, so, I am stepping into new grounds here.
I have a couple of project posts here on LJ of homemade tools and such.
I am really into woodworking, and have been kind of since I was a kid.
No serious woodworking until the past 3-4 yrs.
but over the years i have made some furniture for nephews and nieses, and some for me.
Kribs, rocking horses, high chairs, entertainment centers shelves and so on.
Finally getting my own place and my own mancave in the basement, I started building my shop.
I have not posted any pictures yet, but it will come.
I did not pay enough attention to make the best out of the builds, when coming to square and tight fit, but after watching almost ever episode of NYWS, and every other available woodworking show, along with reading many magz, I am picking up a few tricks to getting better results.
I have always liked getting stuff to work out of other peoples trash, and my “throwing away stuff” muscle is poorly developed.
I happen to work as an automation electrician at at factory producing wall panels, and from scavanging dumpsters and so on, I alwas find something to bring home. We ofte dissmantle old machines, and I tend to drag home some stuff.
Enough of that.
What I am trying to say, I think I mabye more interested in building woodworking machinery than actually using these in real woodworking, but I hope to when my shop i complete.
This first part will be on building a OSS.
Sure this can be bought, although in Norway they are quite rear, and EXPENSIVE.
There are actually no really low end OSS on the market here, so Triton and JET are the only available, as far as I have found, but these are priced from 350-800 USD.
I may be a Yankee, but I actually hesitate buying this OSS, when I can have the enjoyment of building one.
Of course I could take a couple of hours overtime and buy a factory made one, but the I would loose the thrill to see if this is something that can be done, and produce a decent result.
If I dont succeed, well, than I am a couple of experiences richer.
Blogging about this build may not be the perfect thing but since this build is not done in a couple of evenings, I thought why not.
I have actiually done most of the building already, but I will post some pictures along with some comments, and see if there is any intrest in following this build out thre.
Have not made any sketchup drawings or made any decision on size yest, but I tend to build and develop as I go.
The thing i new i wanted was a 5” long spindle, and I wanted i sturdy, so the driveshaft was to be 20mm dia.
I know what you are thinking, this limits the possibility to run tiny diameter drums, and yes it does.
But i think I will be able to squeeze on a 24 mm drum.
The drums are homemade from 3/4” baltic birch plywood, stacked 7 in height, glued and trued and the centerbored in a lathe.
Double sided carpet tape on the drum an emery cloth abrasive in different grits are attached.
There is a slot in the drum to fit over a pin drilled into the shaft, ad the drum i secured with a bolt and washer on top.
A 550w motor is running this on a V-belt drive at a ratio 1:1. The motor is a 1450rpm
A second motor for the oscillation is a 9w geared motor producing about 100 strokes/min.
Stroke distance is 30mm
Linear guiding is an old guide from 80s german edgebanding machine dissmanteled at work, and the shafts are 40mm with ballbearing bushings
The ballbearing blocks for the drive shaft is made from solid oak.
There are some stop collars on the shaft also made from oak and tapped and threaded set screws in these.
The off center wheel and stroke rod for the vertical movement are also made from oak.
Motor mount and baseplate are 3/4” baltic birch with plastic laminate.
The machine cover are from the same material, and alu cornerprofiles, and an off market chineese stop/start switch
Top will be 30mm plastic laminated particle board with inserts to suit the diff dim drums.
Top size ended up 750mm x 480mm, so a decent size and good rest for the workpiece
Dust collection will be done through a 100mm port to the enclose underneath the spindle.
This is sealed with window weather stripping
The top has just been edgebanded tonight, and I hope I will get the top ready for assembly tomorrow.
Also need to make more drums of different sizes, and do the wiring of the motor.
As I have only single phase in my shop, i run 3 phase motors with capacitors, so the real effect is a fair amount lower than stated above.
But I have yet to stall the motor on a couple of tests today.
I will try shooting a video tomorrow.
End of part 1
-- ->Growing old is mandatory, Growing up is optional-<