Acorn #4 plane.
Here is how it started off -
Striped it down and took some wet & dry paper to it
Here is the lever cap after sanding -
I wasn’t too happy with the finish so I sprayed it with white radiator paint ( all I had to hand )
I used my grinder to tidy up the front edge of the sole – wet & dry to clean the grime from the rest of the sole.
Sanded the knob and tote & put on some danish oil.
Had a little accident with the sole when I cleaned it – it was a burgundy colour but covered in grime – found some oven cleaner in the kitchen cupboard – sprayed it on waited 5 mins cleaned it off and watched the origional paint dissolve and wash away ! This lead to a fresh coat of white paint on the sole.
Buffed up the adjustment screw, sanded the excess paint from the top edge of the sole, reassembled and gave it a bit of a test run – here is the plane now -