LumberJocks

nightstand bedside table #6: Finished

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by coloradoclimber posted 01-26-2009 02:18 AM 1568 reads 2 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 5: Planing the top and shelf panels Part 6 of nightstand bedside table series no next part

Here’s a few pics and a link to the finished project page.



5 comments so far

View Built2Last's profile

Built2Last

234 posts in 2936 days


#1 posted 01-26-2009 02:47 AM

Really, really nice!!!!!

View motthunter's profile

motthunter

2142 posts in 3258 days


#2 posted 01-26-2009 03:28 AM

great build. great finish, and mostly great grain selection

-- making sawdust....

View Kindlingmaker's profile

Kindlingmaker

2656 posts in 2986 days


#3 posted 01-26-2009 05:36 AM

Simply beautiful! Wonderful choice of wood with clean lines, very nice!

-- Never board, always knotty, lots of growth rings

View John in SD's profile

John in SD

140 posts in 3272 days


#4 posted 01-26-2009 06:58 PM

You did a very nice job on this project
like it was said above ….nice grain selection….
What finish did you use?

-- Life used to be soooo much simpler!!!!

View coloradoclimber's profile

coloradoclimber

548 posts in 3527 days


#5 posted 01-27-2009 07:39 AM

Mot, spot on about the grain selection. For me grain selection can really make or break a piece. Sometimes you have to live with the hand you’re dealt but in this case I was able to cherry pick most of the pieces to get what I wanted. Notice I tried to get all of the flatsawn cathedrals pointed up. I picked the pieces with more figure and less of a pronounced cathedral for the top and shelf. I tried to get as much vertical grain as possible for the legs. And I tried to find pieces with very little cathedral for the rails. Notice I didnt post a pic of the left side, there’s a pretty bad grain reversal on one of the panels that doesnt look so good. Hopefully that side can go up against a wall :).

I planed all of the surfaces, no sanding at all, as much because I loathe sanding as much as any other reason. Then a couple coats of pure tung oil diluted to 50% with pure turpentine. Soak and wipe dry method. Let it sit a week to cure. A thin thin coat of shellac, sit overnight.

On the top add an additional seven coats of gloss polyurethane diluted to 50% with mineral spirits. Wiped on and wiped clean with a light sanding and 12 hours dry time between coats.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com