First I guess I should cover a little of the the other stuff.
So far this year the weather has made it hard to work in the can. Mostly as the weather got warmer, it was harder to spend any real quality time in the can. I am not sure if it was a difference in humidity or what. But it was just a lot hotter inside the can this year then it has since I have started working in it. The last month of so has been hard with lots of electrical storms in the area I am just not comfortable working inside a large metal box with lost of lighting around. A new fan has helped though on the hot days. But I know to truly make the can a real shop, I am going to have to install plywood on the walls putting insulation between the two. Plus I am going to have to do something soon. Even if it means asking a friend to borrow their truck to get the plywood. I have a plan for installing the plywood, even if I have to do it with no help.
The short description of that plan is to clamp a block of wood to a spot on the edge of the bench. Temporarily screw or attach another block to the plywood. Then placing the plywood against the wall I would wedge a 2 by 4 between the two blocks, holding the plywood to the wall. Oh, I forgot that I will also be applying construction adhesive on the walls of the can first. Then, I will use the same screws that I used to attach the french cleats to the wall to secure the plywood to the walls. I realize this may not give enough information for some to understand what it is I plan to do. But when I do get started I will document the process and post it all here.
The new bandsaw!!!!
I finally got a bandsaw. A Grizzly 14 inch Ultimate Bandsaw and I installed the extension block as well.
You can see it above after I finally got it all set up. It took a total of 3 hours start to finish to assemble the bandsaw, mobile stand, and install the extension block. I was so lucky that I had very little adjustments to make for the blade, fence, and table.
I unpacked everything and set it where I intended to be setup permanently as shown the this picture.
I should say too that I was really pleased with the box and packaging of the bandsaw.
Then came the mobile base. I too was initially impressed with the packaging. I first looked at the instructions and thought “these will make it easy. Although I was first impressed by the instructions that came with the m, mobile base. I quickly became frustrated by them. Being a technical writer, when you see certain details of what you will need and other information you start to think these are going to be good. For instance the instructions first gave me the sizes of wrenches and other tool information I would need. Which turned out to be a little lacking. It was true that I needed the tools listed, but I also needed others that were not listed.
But it should be noted that this did not greatly hinder me in assembling the base. In any case I will save the real details of assembly and such for a tool review of the mobile base and bandsaw.
Just understand for now, that from start to finish it took about 3 hours to unpack and completely install or assemble, the bandsaw, mobile base, and extension block.
I will say that I was able to do some test cuts and to make some initial cuts on a future project and that everything went well.
OH! I must give a big shout out to Grizzly’s customer service. They are GREAT. I had a issue which was no fault of theirs, which they caught and quickly fixed for me. I was greatly impressed with their help online and via the phone. I have never owned a Grizzly product, but thus far, they are quickly gaining my confidence and loyalty.
Well, the battery on my laptop is about to die and I need to get this posted. So I will stop here.
Keep making sawdust!
Warmest Regards from the man in the can.
-- The Man in the Can, Craig M. North Carolina