Well I was actually able to take the time this week and accomplish the goal I set for myself in last week’s blog. I wanted to cut down some of my own logs and make some usable wood from them. I am happy to say that it worked. I of course need to tweak the system a bit and experiment a bit more with some other thicknesses and woods but I am pretty happy with how things turned out. Rather then a jig I decided on once again using my jointer to give me some flat sides. Thru work I can have a pretty good supply of wood so I am not overly worried about the amount of waste using this practice, though I may change in the future to save my cutters a bit of stress.
The first log I decided to attack was honeysuckle piece that I brought home a while ago. The sealing and labeling seemed to have worked out quite well
As I normally do I wanted to actually make something so I decided upon some pen blanks. After cutting the log in slices I then cut it into strips and then just cut them on my chop saw.
Hopefully pens will be coming soon.
Since everything was going well I decided to attack a mystery log. This was one that was left to dry in the woods and I just picked it up one day and brought it home. It was plenty dry. With the very rustic look of the wood. I decided to go for some coasters.
A little bit of spray lacquer and they turned out pretty good.
The last piece here is a wine balancer I made out of the last piece of honeysuckle. It actually wound up a little to thick so I think that one may just be tossed or else I will play with it a bit to get it thinned downed.
Looking forwardto havinga little bit of time to myself in the shop this week due to a really busy week at work. Until next week, have fun in your shop.
-- Chris L. "Don't Dream it, Be it."- PortablePastimes.com (Purveyors of Portable Fun and Fidgets)