Ok so here is the blog to go along with my lastest project. I really wanted to do something in the shop from start to finish yesterday. I was cutting up some wood I got from work due to storm damage and decided to cut a few otherpieces that have been floating around in my garage for a while.
A bandsaw box is something I have been wanting to really try for a while (made a few experiments) So here is the process I took from a fresh log. Sorry did nto get nearly as many pics as I guess I should have but hopefully you’ll get the idea.
One hunk of cherry log. Used the bandsaw to free hand cut it down. Then bandsawed out the drawers. Using my clamp Ito hold each of the drawers I used my drill press and forstener bits to make the well. (this particular one became a box with pivoting lid that fits in.)
After adding the wells. A lidded box ( I like making these pivoting lid type) which fits into the top hole. I think i goofed when cutting the second drawer out and cut it upside down to the drawer has a angle to it and only goes in from the back. I decided it was a nice feature. Only a small amount of sanding was done before I used a spary on laquer to finish the pieces before assembly.
I was reading ””Lucky Dawgs””:http://lumberjocks.com/projects/32178 post while waiting for the finish to dry which gave me a good idea for some pulls (but the button holes I had were too big). I built this real quick jig to cut some walnut Kreg plugs to the correct length, then drilled the drawers out with a forstner bit. Glue up came late.
The finished project released from its bonds this morning.
Thanks for looking. Hope maybe some one else gives it try. I have the odd feeling I will be making more of these, I had a lot of fun.
-- Chris L. "Don't Dream it, Be it."- PortablePastimes.com (Purveyors of Portable Fun and Fidgets)