christherookie's Forum Topics

  • Advertise with us
View christherookie's:homeworkshopprojects (6)blog (0)reviews (0)forum topics (11)buddies (1)favorites (0)activity logWatch
05-30-2017 07:13 PM

Band saw or scroll saw? - 9 replies

Occasionally, I’ll have a project where I need to cut curves. I’ve been using a jigsaw and while it works, sometimes I’ll have a piece of wood that’s narrow and would be better for cutting on something like a scroll saw or band saw. The curves I do cut are usually in soft wood under 3/4-inch in thickness. I’m al...

05-26-2017 02:20 PM

What's your project process? - 2 replies

I’m working on two Adirondack chairs and I’m finally at the stage where I’m ready to assemble it this weekend. Because I only have a couple of hours a day, I’m finding my projects tend to follow this process.1. Get or make plans / Create cut list2. Buy lumber and hardware.3. Cut all pieces as basic shapes and store in st...

05-22-2017 03:19 PM

As parts or as completed - when to finish - 3 replies

I’ve got all my pieces cut for two Adirondack chairs. I figure I could assemble and then paint or paint and then assemble. Having made one of these chairs before, it was very cumbersome to paint after it was assembled. But I can’t figure out how to paint all these parts first. What I mean is how do I set the pieces down to dry? ...

05-12-2017 01:54 PM

My first coffee table - 5 replies

With a handful of projects under my belt, I’m ready to make a coffee table. What I don’t know is how it should be finished. I know it will get its share of cups, mugs, and plates resting on the surface. I just don’t know shellac from shinoal about what to use to protect it. if I stain it, what do I use to cover the stain? ...

05-01-2017 07:18 PM

How to assemble an uneven frame? - 5 replies

My daughter wants me to build a large frame with the center being a sheet of galvanized steel hardware cloth so she can clip photos to it. But there is a wrinkle in the plan. Instead of four even sides… She wants it to be shaped like a mountain. Think of a frame with a normal bottom edge but then the sides go up to form a few mountai...

02-27-2017 09:32 PM

3/4 or 7/8? - 11 replies

I’m building a project in which 80% of it is lumber with a thickness of 3/4”. The other 20% calls for lumber that’s 7/8” thick. Looking at the plans, I don’t see why the difference except for a possible ascetic aspect on the ends of the daybed so you get a 3d look for the frame around the side. Because of where t...

02-24-2017 03:19 PM

Plywood choice - will get painted - 6 replies

My wife has a project for me to create a daybed for a spare bedroom. She wants the whole thing painted white. I have project plans for this and it’s primarily 3/4” plywood. Since it’s going to get painted, am I ok to use baltic birch? I’m new to wood selection for plywood but from what I’ve read, this seems to be...

02-07-2017 04:05 PM

Protecting my jigs - 6 replies

I finally have the time and money to get my little garage workshop going. I’ve created a beautiful cross-cut sled for my table saw and I’m working on an equally pretty router bench-top table (all parts have been cut) – I love finding baltic birch and oak plywood with colored grain patterns. Which leads me to my question. S...

01-29-2010 03:55 PM

Buying A New Chisel - Will It Need Sharpening? - 14 replies

I mentioned to a friend, who does woodworking, that I would be buying my first chisel soon. He then told me it takes hours to get a mirror finish with a sharp edge on a new chisel (at least the the big borg type). I’m looking at an irwin marples set of 4 for around $40. Do I really need to spend hours sharpening something that is bran...

01-27-2010 10:40 PM

How to Chisel Out a Hole. - 4 replies

My next project is a measuring gauge. As part of the design plans, I have to chisel out a square hole for the stick portion of the gauge to move through. Having never done this, here are my plans. 1. Drill a hole the diameter of the square, all the way through the wood.2. Chisel out remaining wood. My fear is that in step #2, the pressur...

01-22-2010 04:41 PM

Need help with a mallet design - 12 replies

I’m pretty new to woodworking. Just finished my own workbench (for $50 with 2×4’s and plywood) and I’m ready to start a few small projects. My desire is start with handmade tools. My plan is first a mallet and then a measuring gauge. I have seen a few mallet designs and before I buy the wrong wood or other materials,...

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics