6 weeks left of the fantasy football season and its looks like im out of the playoffs. Barring a miracle ill be watching from the sidelines. If you’ve followed my last posts i took a chunk of fallen maple and, by hand, drawknived, planed, shaved, and shaped that log into a football. Well then i ran into a problem … my freshly fallen log had started to crack, check, and split.
Then, coming in off the bench, the LJ faithful 34,000 strong, bail me out of another problem. We determined that the first step was to dry it out. I slowly dried the football in the microwave for 3 minute intervals and over the span of 3 days i got the weight to remain consistent.
Then it was on to filling those cracks. I jammed some cedar shims into the gaps adhering them with CA glue. Taping it off with some painters tape to prevent the CA glue form getting all over.
Then onto the epoxy filler. I chose Quikwood readily available at WC. It comes in tootsie roll form just mush it together until the color is consistent and its ready to use. 2 days dry time, a quick sanding with some 150, and good as new.
Next game update will feature creating the seams of the football and making the laces.
-- "there aren’t many hand tools as awe-inspiring as the #8 jointer. I mean, it just reeks of cast iron heft and hubris" - Smitty