LumberJocks

Mobile Workstation #2: Let's do the twist!

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by chopnhack posted 861 days ago 1444 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: The center of my shop renovation - from the ground up.. Part 2 of Mobile Workstation series no next part

Ok, so it’s much more fun to dance than to fix…. Apparently welding a frame should not be undertaken without proper support, or ahh… more experience. The frame had a twist to it across the 59.5” length! I cleared a section of the shop floor (miracle) got out my door installation level and found a fairly level area. I then proceeded to use some shims to adjust the floor until the it was perfectly level. Gotta give credit to the guys that screeded the floor some 50 years ago, the floor was just out by about a 32nd over 5 feet! I then marked the outline of the shims on the floor in case they got moved around, which was really handy later. I put the frame down on the shims and then proceeded to level the frame. I leveled one of the short sides and when I moved to the other end to level that short side I noticed the rocking. When I had the frame up for spraying out back on buckets I thought I saw some twist to it while looking from far away – like winding sticks, but brushed it off since it was far away and on a slope.. After some back and forth with the shims, I tried to split the difference of the out of level situation across the entire frame and ended up needing 0.311” and 0.248” shims on diagonally opposite corners. I will need to rip long wood shims for the top of the frame as well to account for the “split” difference above. I cut up some steel 1/4” angle, some 1/8” plate and some roof flashing I had laying around to make 3×3 pads for the casters to sit on to take up the slack. After the final thickness was achieved, I tack welded the thicker pad and grinded the welds flush. The pads were clamped in place and drilled to accept #14 self tapping screws. I predrilled because there was a lot of metal to go through and the last thing that I wanted was to have one of these self tappers twist and snap off! Take a look at the last photo… my hands aren’t small!! After the pads were drilled, I mounted the Steel City 4” casters, which from first take look pretty nice.

-- Sneaking up on the line....



1 comment so far

View chopnhack's profile

chopnhack

368 posts in 993 days


#1 posted 860 days ago

Didn’t get to do much today, but found a few hours to get the frame ready for decking and then onto more designing for the cabinets that will go above. I rechecked the floor and reestablished four level corners, put the frame with casters locked on top of these four corners and then checked again for level on the frame. Ended up needing to rip 5’ long shims tapering from 0.25” to 0 and another for the other long rail from 0.394” to 0. I also needed 25” shims to fill in between the long shims. The method I recommend to safely cut these shims is a sawboard for the circular saw. Line up your marks and cut. Super safe. I drilled a few holes and used some #6 metal screws to hold the shims in place. Ready for decking! I didn’t have any scrap large enough so will have to make a trip to the home store for some 3/4” ply.

-- Sneaking up on the line....

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase