Over the past several days, I completed the assembly of the case for the wall cabinet. Material is maple except for the panel in the back, and I made that so long ago that I don’t remember what kind of ply it is.
The back sits in rabbets in the sides and is secured with screws. I had to make a visit to the big orange store because I didn’t have the size screws (#4). The back panel has mortise and tenons between the rails and stiles.
The sides are attached to the top and bottom with pocket hole screws. I made a slight error in laying these out. I placed them a little too close to the back which made them difficult to secure. I’ll be plugging the pocket holes with maple plugs. Oh and if you look closely you might see the plugs in the mis-cut shelf pin holes.
The doors will sit between the sides.
Tonight I fit the doors – a fair amount of hand planing and sanding, and started work on the hinge mortises – one down, 7 to go.
-- Chelle http://artsgranddaughter.blogspot.com