My 3-day weekend meant 3 days in the garage.
I spent half of the weekend cleaning and rebuilding an old Craftsman tablesaw and bandsaw. But that’s for another time.
Saturday was a day of firsts.
It was my first time working from a plan that I created.
It was my first time to use a cut list.
It was my first time cutting rabbets and dadoes.
It was my first time building a cabinet.
And here’s one that I didn’t think would come until much later: It was the first time everything fit together.
I created the cabinet plan in Sketchup and used the amazing CutList plugin to make my sheet goods layout and cut list.
Here’s a couple of pics from the cabinet assembly:
I haven’t had the chance to attach the face frame or doors just yet but here’s the carcass hanging on the french cleats along with some other hangars/boxes I made yesterday:
If you take a look at the back of the cabinet, you’ll see some strips of wood running all the way across. These were used to help attach the 3 cleats to the cabinet and allow for longer screws to be used.
Here’s a closeup of the wrench and chisel holders:
For the chisel holder, I didn’t have anything thin enough to make the slots but I did have some very thin (and brittle) lattice strips. I was able to laminate 3 of the strips together to come up to the right thickness.
I still have a few more hangars that I want to create for the remainder of my often-used tools.