Trying to get back on track with my workbench build, I have almost finished the mortice and tenon joints in the legs. The upper joints are haunched, because I read somewhere it was a better choice than a normal or open tenon, and if you read it on the internet it must be true. I think I am going to wedge the lower joints as that provides a sturdier connection. Each mortice took almost an hour to drill and chisel out, and I thought I would finish them in one night HA! With the tenons a full 2 inches thick I used a 1 7/8 inch forrestner bit to remove the bulk of the wood and cleaned it up with a chisel. I was a little worried about how well the bit was going to work but was quite impressed with it’s performance after a bit of sharpening.
I had to flip the legs over and drill from both sides and even then I still had about a 1/4 inch left the drill didn’t get.
I used a wood block I squared up on my table saw as a guide to make sure I cut straight.
Time spent 8 hours
Total time 38 hours
-- Life is 20% of what you make it and 80% of how you take it.