LumberJocks

Nicholson style workbench #6: Making progress with the legs.

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by cfrance posted 07-27-2015 02:27 AM 1383 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 5: Ready set go! Part 6 of Nicholson style workbench series Part 7: Apron dados are done »

Today was a good day, not as productive as yesterday, but then I didn’t work nearly as hard. It started with the prep and glue up of the stretchers. Then I started on the legs. They had to be flattened and cut to final dimensions.I debated cutting the mortises in them but I thought fitting them to the aprons would present more of a challenge so might as well figure it out on a weekend while I had time to think it through. Turns out the leg was the easy part, the apron didn’t go quite as I had envisioned. Part of the reason I am building this bench is my desire to use more hand tools. So I grabbed a chisel and mallet and enjoyed not wearing a dust mask, safety glasses and hearing protection for about 3 minutes. I’m not sure what happened. Maybe it was the music(I had some pretty angry stuff playing coincidentally). Maybe it was the realization that the day was almost over. Maybe it was panic that I didn’t get as much done this weekend that I wanted. Whatever the reason was, I found my self holding my router looking for my safety gear. Back to my old hybrid ways I guess. Oh well, it doesn’t really matter as long as the joints are tight I don’t care what I had to do to get them that way.

I used my sled on my table saw to square up the leg ends, I don’t get consistent enough results from my miter box to trust it on this project.

The sled worked great to trim the legs to length as well.

This is the cut to make the bottom part of the half lap type notch to bring the leg flush with the apron.

Joinery with a band saw.

There are a few marks from the blade but it was straight and since I’m not gluing this to the apron, this is great like it is.

I decided I liked the look of the apron corners cut off better than when they are square.

I was so excited I took a picture.

The router was just so easy. The blocks are just fillers to give the router base something to rest on.

Since I didn’t use a jig this is what i had to clean up by hand. This much chisel work is something I can handle.

Success! Only 3 more to go.

The router put a smile back on my face (under the dust mask) as soon as it started cutting.

Time spent 7.5 hours
Total time 27 hours
Materials used (2)2×8x10’, 4 oz. glue

-- Life is 20% of what you make it and 80% of how you take it.



2 comments so far

View Chuck McIntyre's profile

Chuck McIntyre

74 posts in 735 days


#1 posted 07-27-2015 04:21 AM

Looking great. I have really enjoyed watching this come together.

-- Wood is a gift from God that maintains its beauty forever via the hand of a woodworker.

View stefang's profile

stefang

15512 posts in 2796 days


#2 posted 07-27-2015 11:48 AM

Looks real good. We should probably only do handwork when it is enjoyable and not feel guilty when we take the power tool route to do the more laborious work.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com