LumberJocks

Nicholson style workbench #5: Ready set go!

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by cfrance posted 07-26-2015 03:31 AM 1382 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 4: Another carbon copy day Part 5 of Nicholson style workbench series Part 6: Making progress with the legs. »

Since I didn’t have plans for the day I spent it in the garage giving my workbench build a hefty push along. It started this morning removing clamps and scraping glue off an apron followed by milling and gluing the legs. I spent the rest of the day re-sizing the top slabs and aprons. Everything is taking much longer than I hoped but about as long as I planed. I seem to be on track for about a 40 or so hour build which I think is about average, maybe? With only two boards left to laminate the joinery is going to start very soon. This will be my first time making some of these joints. I am torn between going full machine or a combo of hand tool/machine. I am leaning toward the latter because I think it will just be easier and faster. I’m learning that some hand tools can actually be easier and faster than a machine and sometimes the other way around. I hope one day I can let my mood decide which tool to use instead of my skill with tools. Until then I need to practice, experiment push my limits.

I decided to cut the legs out after I glued the boards together because I thought I might take more clamps to do them individually. I had to add extra f clamps, glad I didn’t run out.

This was the low point of my day. My table had no room so I had to plane parts on a cart with wheels. Six spring clamps and some string. What in the world was I thinking.

When my brain started working again I just used my table saw to keep the cart from moving, DUH!

I was surprised how easy it was to to flatten everything with a hand plane. I don’t think I could have done this build with out it.

I cut all the slabs to length with my circular saw. I made a few test cuts to square up the blade.

I was a little worried about safety pushing those huge things through the planer so I took it off the cart. If I ever have anything heavy like this to plane again, I WILL make some in and out feed tables for my planer.

I used the table saw to rip the sides even. I needed a little extra help from the cart. The weight of the pieces made everything more difficult and added a lot of extra time all day. Every time I had to pick up something I kept saying ‘light weight, light weight, light weight!’ It didn’t like help.

I couldn’t resist the temptation to put all the pieces together and have a sneak peek at my progress.

Time spent 10.5 hours
Total time 19.5 hours
Materials used (4)2×8x8’, 8 oz. glue

-- Life is 20% of what you make it and 80% of how you take it.



1 comment so far

View exelectrician's profile

exelectrician

2327 posts in 1894 days


#1 posted 07-26-2015 11:19 PM

Looking good so far, keep plugging along and soon it will be done.

-- Love thy neighbour as thyself

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com