So I milled lumber today, again. Making smaller boards out of larger ones, only today I used 2×8’s to make a 3” slab for one of the aprons instead of the 4” slabs that I have made the past 2 days. The milling process is, in my opinion, the most boring part of any project, but no less important than any other step. Kind of a necessary evil if you will. But the magic of music made the time fly by leaving me with only one more slab to glue tomorrow. Curiosity got the better of me and I brought down my bathroom scale to weigh the 2 slab pieces I glued up earlier. One weighed in at 96 lbs. and the other at 103 lbs. So yeah. I’m pretty sure I’m going to wait to glue them together when I do the final assembly. The edges still need to be straightened and I have to plane them to their final thickness and I think I am going to cut about a foot off of them to make the top around seven foot long. This should lighten them a bit but I officially stop worrying about if the bench was going to have the heft I wanted it to have.
What I started with today.
This is all of the waste from the past 2 days from the (8)2×10x8’ boards. The thickest rip is a touch under 3/16’s.
I managed to get a shot of the glue up process. The boards where stacked vertically and the clamps added so I could lay them slab down on the table to finish the clamping.
Time today 2.5 hours
Total time 7 hours
Materials used (4)2×8x8’,12 oz glue
-- Life is 20% of what you make it and 80% of how you take it.