Well today was just like yesterday as I made the other half of the top. So again I started with four 2×10’s and a 16 oz. bottle of glue and ended up with a 4” thick slab 11” wide and an empty bottle of glue. I’ve never had to glue together so many 2×4’s at once before and to be honest I struggled with it yesterday. While the boards where very straight and flat a few of them where bowed and it caused some of the glue to drip out before I was able to the clamps on. After a quick inspection this morning while I was removing the clamps and scraping the glue off, I noticed a few places that may be a bit glue starved but I think it should be ok. Today I stacked the boards vertically as I glued them so the glue couldn’t drip out as easily, then I clamped them together and laid them down to finish aligning and clamping. This would have been impossible If the boards didn’t stick over my current “workbench”(my old kitchen table). This new method worked outstanding as there seemed to be just the right amount of glue squeeze out.
Ripping the boards in half with a straight cut jig.
Off to the planer to make sure the sides are nice and flat.
Back to the straight cut jig to make sure one side is still straight.
Ripping the pieces to a uniform width.
And the glue up is done. (Well maybe a bit overdone judging by the amout of excess i have oozing out. Better safe than sorry i guess.)
Time today 2 hours
Total time 4.5 hours
Materials used (4)2×10x8’,16 oz glue
-- Life is 20% of what you make it and 80% of how you take it.