I wanted to go with a technique I have been playing with where I miter every edge. I just made a new 45 degree sled for my saw and made a few test boxes that gave me some confidence in getting all the 45 degree corners right.
after cutting all the 45s for the sides, I taped things together to test the fit:
I then made the top 45 degree cuts in preparation for the lid cuts:
As everybody knows, when you do this: If you are off 1/2 degree on all your 45s, you get gaps. Man, I hate gaps and I did end up with a few. Small and manageable gaps.
Cutting this lid was a terrifying thing. Another case where errors are not rewarded. I used the ‘sneak-up’ technique to cut the 45s for the lid:
Another part of this project I have been conflicted with was how to do the hinges. I have had lots of luck with wooden hinges, but I just did not want this box to have big hinges. My wooden hinges are big.
I purchased some nice brass hinges and figured this would be EASY and save time.
I tested these on some scrap and discovered that these hinges would require an almost error-free install. I must admit that error-free is NOT a tool I have yet. I still work with a tool called ‘very forgiving’ It is my favorite.
These hinges are semi-new territory for me, so again I must learn while I try to proceed error free.
(continued in next blog entry)
-- Chris, “as soon as you come up with something foolproof, they come up with a better fool""