This is a jewelry box project for my Daughter’s 22 birthday at the end of the month. Due to the time I spent trying to plan this out, I didn’t get to start until the second week of August. I spent time with concepts in Sketchup and was going to get crazy with an octagon box, but I am glad I moved past that now.
The two of us spent a Saturday morning running around town so I asked if she would mind a quick stop by my favorite wood supplier (Peachstate Lumber)
In a around-about way I got her to help me pick out the wood I would use for this project without her knowing that was what I was after.
We selected a beautiful piece of padauk (ok, that was more my choice) and Zebra wood.
I have never worked with zebra wood before. It is a little too stripe-ish for me so I worked to find a way to make it work in this design.
I started with the lid in a mitered frame of a single piece of zebra wood. Framed in a dramatically grained piece of padauk.
One idea I had was to center this project on a single brass ‘S’ (for Sallie):
However the brass gets lost in the zebra wood, so that wasn’t going to work. I had to shelf this idea.
I went with joining the zebra and padauk together for the side boards.
Here I am looking at a rough idea of how this would turn out:
(continued in next blog entry)
-- Chris, “as soon as you come up with something foolproof, they come up with a better fool""