I wanted to make something for my wife’s birthday and mother’s day, which fell on the same weekend this year.
I have had this semi-spalted maple in my collection of wood so I cleaned it up for this project.
Since it is nearly a requirement of mine, I decided to accent this project with some deep red padauk of which I always have on hand.
If you have the need to buy something and do not already have one, get a drum sander. It’s at the top of my list of favorite tools for sure.
I had some design problems that got in the way of this project turning out perfect. Mostly bad decisions that I later paid a price for.
I decided to use dowel pins to reinforce the corners. What I did not anticipate was that the spalted maple was weak on the edges.
So, I came up with some feet/supports to cover and reinforce weakened and crumbling edges. They covered them quite well, but I am not so happy with having to use them
One part I am quite pleased with is how the hinges turned out. I like making my own i the project is big enough. These hinges are HUGE but fit win scale with this project.
Please take a look at the finished project in my projects posting. Thanks for looking.
-- Chris, “as soon as you come up with something foolproof, they come up with a better fool""