I’m still trying my hand at the EZ Mitre boxes.
So, I took three pieces of cherry and, after joining them, I applied a thin layer of (what I think is) birch plywood to, what will be, the inside layer of the box.
I know of two good reasons to put another type of wood on the inside layer of these boxes:
1) looks good
2) run the wood grain alternate to the outside layer and it adds cross-grain strength
Here’s two more things I NOW know
1) don’t use cheap plywood on projects where aesthetics count
Actually, I already knew this rule, but I ignored it. Why? Who knows. I usually have to ignore my own rules three times before I realize I made the rule for a reason. Arrrgh! It seems that the plywood I picked up is ash or something similar that fuzzes to the moon when you sand it!
2) The most important part of doing the alternating grain trick is to ALTERNATE THE GRAIN!
I was so focused on the glue up and resulting storm of clamps that I managed to glue up with the grains in the same direction! Doh!
imperfect storm of clamps
At this point, it looks like I am about to negate both points one and two.
So I ended up with this:
here’s the fuzzy side!
So I did the cuts per procedure and that went fairly well. The ash plywood did what it does best: fuzzed and got stringy as ever.
After a lot of cleanup (mostly unsuccessful), I went to the glue-up
This turned out okay, the box looks good on the outside.
the inside needs work, it’s not apparent here, but this is not going so hot.
This will be a hinged lid, here’s a look at those
I thought I would cheat and take a look at what this might look like finished. Using my favorite image processing software, I popped the grain a little:
I’ll post the finished box soon. Thanks for looking.
-- Chris, “as soon as you come up with something foolproof, they come up with a better fool""