LumberJocks

Sofa Table from tension wood

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by cathyb updated 07-01-2018 05:00 AM 7 parts 12292 reads 45 comments total

Part 1: Sofa Table from tension wood#1

06-08-2018 03:08 AM by cathyb | 7 comments »

This is a series to show my process when dealing with tension wood. I started this topic in a forum call “Darn that curly tension wood” to introduce the topic. Now that I have a plan in process, I wanted to show you how to deal with wood, which is unwilling to play nice: I am working with curly koa and walnut. I chose walnut because it is relatively porous and will be a good choice for my laminations. When you have wood with too much tension, you can still make a great piec...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Sofa table from tension wood #3

06-10-2018 04:53 AM by cathyb | 10 comments »

Yesterday, I finished gluing my sofa table top and shelf. For the information about the process, check the continuation of step #1. On to the legs today, which is pretty straight forward for some of you. This is my process for these four sided legs: First my 16 pieces were cut to length and width. I will be creating four sided legs to highlight my curly koa. Since I have a Laguna table show, which cranks towards the fence for a 45 degree cut, I always make a jig to make the job safe...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Table Legs

06-16-2018 06:10 PM by cathyb | 4 comments »

When I left off, I was in the prep stage for this sofa table. Last weekend , I was trying to find a good choice for my aprons and inlay for the leg. After finally selecting a suitable board, I constructed the legs, glued the table top together, created the attachment for the legs and began my finish work. In this blog we will talk about the legs. The legs are four sided laminate of the koa and walnut. To do this, I laminated the koa to the walnut. Then once dry, I cut the joint for my...

Read this entry »


Part 4: leg attachment

06-16-2018 06:38 PM by cathyb | 4 comments »

You may remember I added a filler piece to my legs to completely fill the cavity, except at either end. There I wanted to added a stronger dowel to give me more strength on the foot and a dowel underneath the table top. Before I get to work on the dowel, though, I want to create an attachment for my legs to the table top. For I had to glue the two pieces of book matched koa together to create the top (and also the shelf). I used dominoes to strengthen these joints and assist in gluing. ...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Preliminary finishing work

06-18-2018 11:21 PM by cathyb | 7 comments »

Today I am doing preliminary finish work. I like to have three coats of finish on all pieces before final assembly. It is at this point I address the negative and positive faces of book-matched wood. Experiment number one: Add sealer to the darker side and then finish to the lighter side, under the assumption that the darker side would absorb more finish and create the contrast. From the picture above, you can see this did not work. Experiment two (this is the nice thi...

Read this entry »


Part 6: more finishing work

06-23-2018 07:17 PM by cathyb | 8 comments »

Another week has slipped past. I take my time when I finish a piece. Koa is an opened pored wood, so it takes multiple coats to fill those pores. I could have used the sealer, much like the top and shelf, but it gives me pleasure to lay down a coat of finish, sand with fine sand paper and repeat multiple times. This might sound odd to some, but after the effort, I want to feel the piece I created. After all these years, with so many different coating materials, I like the results from ...

Read this entry »


Part 7: Final finish work

07-01-2018 05:00 AM by cathyb | 5 comments »

This will be the final post for my blog regarding the sofa table. Tomorrow I will add the finished table to projects. Before I reached that point, I glued the top to the aprons. Then it rained for four days, so the finish work was delayed. As much as possible I tried to protect my shelf during the spraying to avoid any over spray. I also added craft paper to the legs when spraying the top. There really were no problems at this stage. I added the sixth coat this evening. By...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com