Ok, the last post I made about this project was over five months ago. The summer heat made me lethargic and unmotivated, combined with a drop in my available free time as other life things occupied me …. But for the last month or so, I’ve been carving out time to work on this project.
Progress – Wheels:
In the last post I made, I described the design of the new wheels and showed pictures of some of the parts cut out. The wheels have been fabricated up to a rough version. They still need to be shimmed/adjusted so that they mount perpendicular to the shafts, and the rim needs to have a crown shaped into it. Once that is done, they will need to be balanced.
Here are some pictures of the wheels:
And a video of the test run with the wheels on a shaft clamped to my tablesaw wing:
(The video doesn’t want to embed properly, sorry)
New stuff – Shaft Mounts and Tensioning:
The original plan called for installing some ball bearings inside wood blocks and attaching the whole thing to the frame. Because this is a critical area in terms of safety, I decided to abstain from risks and purchase cast iron pillow blocks. The pillow blocks needed to be mounted differently to the wooden frame then I had originally designed for, so I acquired several sections of 3” x 3-1/2” x 1/4” mild steel angle iron and went to work to make brackets for them:
And finally a video of the pneumatic mechanism in action.
-- Woodworking from an engineer's perspective