Shopmade 20" Bandsaw #4: Wheels

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by William Shelley posted 06-23-2014 05:28 AM 1585 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 3: Base construction and frame finish work Part 4 of Shopmade 20" Bandsaw series Part 5: An update, finally. »

Progress is happening on this project but it is slow.

I made some wheels for the bandsaw out of MDF but ended up scrapping them because I saw no feasible way to solve two problems:

1: Alignment of the shaft to eliminate lateral wobble. The wheel was a sandwich of two pieces of 3/4” MDF with a hole in the middle and the shaft rammed into it.
2: affixing the shaft to the wheel in a removable fashion. I would have had to resort to epoxy or something to secure the shaft.

I also have doubts about the durability of MDF considering how much tension I plan on applying with this machine.

I decided to make new wheels using a number of segmented parts laminated together (similar concept to how the frame was constructed). These new wheels will be a ‘split’ design and will actually be made in two halves and bolted together onto the shaft. A design element I’m tinkering with is actually drilling a hole perpendicularly through the shaft and using a bolt to mechanically secure the shaft onto the wheel. I don’t have any metalworking equipment except my drill press, and so machining a keyway or similar would be difficult. Since I am concerned about creating a weak point by removing too much shaft material with a through-bolt, my other thought was to drill a short ways in and use a tap to cut a few threads, just enough for a bolt or screw to engage and snug up against and this would act like a key and prevent the wheel from free spinning on the shaft when under load.

This is what my design is inspired by.

Here’s the Solidworks design I came up with:

The wheels are made from hickory and maple. I don’t know the exact subspecies of each but neither were very expensive. The hickory was a 4/4×7” and was a lot more warped than it seemed when I bought it at the dealer. The maple started out as 6/4 and I was able to resaw it on my tablesaw and end up with a piece that came out at 3/4” and one at about 5/16” after planing. Fortunately the maple was quite flat and was sold as hit & miss but was a lot closer to S2S.

I’ll be using Urea Formaldehyde powdered plastic resin glue for this, the same as on the frame.

And here is what I have done at the time of this post:


Constructed a jig for making precise 30-degree and 15-degree cuts on the tablesaw. It required a fair amount of tuning before I got accurate results.

Milling out stock. You can see the CAD plans as well.

Sorry about the wierd banding issues in the images, I think the fluorescent light above is causing that.

Thanks for reading. Stay tuned for the next post where hopefully I have completed wheels to show.

-- Woodworking from an engineer's perspective

2 comments so far

View BTimmons's profile


2298 posts in 1909 days

#1 posted 06-23-2014 03:44 PM

That’s an amazing amount of work. I’m in awe of anyone who undertakes building their own power tools on that kind of scale.

-- Brian Timmons -

View William Shelley's profile

William Shelley

147 posts in 893 days

#2 posted 06-23-2014 03:51 PM

Thanks. I’m a firm believer in the phrase, “If it’s worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.”

-- Woodworking from an engineer's perspective

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics