LumberJocks

Shopmade 20" Bandsaw #3: Base construction and frame finish work

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by William Shelley posted 06-08-2014 08:18 PM 1785 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: The Motor and Driver Part 3 of Shopmade 20" Bandsaw series Part 4: Wheels »

It’s been a little too long since the last post about this project. If my shop was more orderly I’m sure I would be more productive… ah well, time for organization can be found here and there.

This weekend I decided to tackle the construction of the base of the bandsaw. My original design/vision called for a base that sat on some adjustable feet, with a pair of wheels at the back which sat about 1/4” above the floor, and that protruded from the rear in such a way that when the saw was tipped backwards it would ‘engage’ the wheels. essentially, the same design as a typical handtruck/dolly.

Once I actually got the damn thing built I realized that it was already close to being too deep for my small shop. So I settled on a four-caster design with two fixed casters at the rear and two swivel casters with brakes at the front.

Here’s what I have done so far. It’s only 1pm (lunch break!) so I should be able to complete the base and get it securely braced and such. I’m not terribly proud of this shoddy work but I’m trying to suppress my perfectionist side for this project. I keep reminding myself that this is a learning experience and I can make another saw (or different tool) later on using some of the lessons learned here. The base is made of 1-by S4S pine from home depot that has been sitting around for ages in my shop. I will probably reinforce certain areas by laminating extra pieces as necessary.

At the same time, I got the belt-sander out and started flushing up the rough/uneven sides of the frame where the laminations had slid or were otherwise out of whack.

Two edges done:

This one needs work:

The whole frame being worked on:

EDIT: Just now, I stood the saw up with the based clamped on the frame, and laid the Paper-Stone top material on top to see how it ‘feels’ at the height/size/etc. I need to drop the height down about 2” so that the whole thing fits underneath one of the beams in my basement shop. Other than that, I like how things are turning out so far.

Thanks for reading.

-- Woodworking from an engineer's perspective



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com