Hi everyone, first post here on LJ. I’ve done my fair share of lurking and finally decided to sign up. Today I have a few photos of some improvements I made to my Ridgid R4512 hybrid saw.
Given that this saw is available at HD and is reasonably priced for a new tool, I imagine I’m not the only hobbyist with one of these and I also imagine every other owner has been a bit peeved with the inherent design flaw of the aluminum extrusions that the fence slides on. In a brilliant logistical decision, Ridgid chose a two-piece design for the fence rails, with a wimpy method of joining them together. Even with light use, they began to sag and this was throwing everything else off because my fence was inaccurate in different ways depending on it’s position… a nightmare.
My solution was to bolt two pieces of moderately heavy gauge angle iron to the bottom of these rails which conveniently already had t-slot track profiles. For those who have this saw, you will need M8-1.25×16mm hex bolts to fit in Ridgid’s t-slot track.
Here you can (sort of) see the problem… the extrusion slopes down to the left and right with the apex positioned inline with the blade (where the joint is)
Time for disassembly:
.. And reassembly:
I forgot to take pictures of the rear rail (this saw has a pair and the fence ‘clamps’ them together to lock in place), but I gave it the same treatment, however I put the angle iron the other way so things could be attached to it:
Temporary (!!!) leg to hold the new outfeed table parallel to the saw’s table while I measured and cut real legs for it.
-- Woodworking from an engineer's perspective