|Blog series by Joe Watson||updated 05-14-2011 05:23 AM||9 parts||16386 reads||20 comments total|
I started my bench today. I am building a roubo-esce bench since I am becoming more and more interesting in hand tools. I really need the clamping surfaces. over all dimensions of the top are 20 inches by 60 inches. working with what should be the height. cut the 3 inch strips to begin the glue up. this is after i applied the glue and clamps the wood i am using is southern yellow pine.
I messed up actually a little making the top. I originally meant to make in two sections then take it through the planer. however i made the whole width then did a face palm. i flattened one side and glued up the legs. going to make the base and will move on from there just out of the clamps removing glue drops started flattening one side starting to flatten the other side gluing up the legs
got the legs glued up cut the stretchers and made the tenons cut the legs and made tenons on the ends, this is before i made the shoulders but cut the cheeks started the mortises for the stretchers but that isnt going well. dont have a great way of making mortises. also this is the first time i have made mortises all the way through like this. well till next time have fun folks.
for christmas I recieved a heavy columbia vice for my bench. when I say heavy I do mean heavy. More weight to add to my bench :) I also had some christmas money I used to buy some grammercy holdfasts that I am eager to get.
Did more work on the bench this weekend along with stuff I had going on. Drilled the Dog holes in the top and used my hold fasts for the first time. I bought the grammercy Hold fasts back in late December. these hold fasts are great and were not a lot of money. working on the base next, the through mortises aren’t going to be easy.
When I started my bench I had no place to work. I made the leap and got the top done but didnt have a base for it yet. Well I am finding this has been the best thing that would happen to me. The top is heavy enough in which I can work on it to make the joinery for the base. I sat the bench on saw horses a while back but never did much with it. After drilling the dogholes another world opened up and I was able to use the grammercy holdfasts I bought from TFWW to hold down pieces of my base. I ...
I assembled the base. I had created the legs and left and right stretchers a few weeks ago. I had made the front and rear stretchers only to get interrupted for a little bit. I sometimes have to slip little bits of work in when I can. This is the assembled base. I saw someone had created some dog holes in the leg opposite where the leg vise will be eventually. I decided to do this as well. This is a good idea for two reasons. It gives you a place to store the holdfasts and acts similar ...
today I mounted the tail vise. Its an antique Columbia I got for Christmas. Started one mortise and realized I need to replan how I will cut the mortises.
chop for the vise here is the base finally on going to move on to a couple of projects for the time being then come back to do the face vise.