For quite some time now (I’m guessing about 3 or 4 years), I have wanted to build a proper workbench. However, due to my job, a new baby (in 2013), loss of a job (in 2013), a new job (2013-14), significant income reduction due to new job (2013-14), another new job with significant income increase (Sept 2014), a move for the new job (Oct 2014), and all around procrastination and excuses, I haven’t made it happen. That is, until now.
My family went back to the hometown for Christmas, but I was stuck here in Deep South Texas for work. The house that we are renting here isn’t much, but it has a garage, and I set up shop in there. I figured since I had nothing better to do I could finally start building my workbench. After all, this new house I’ve moved into had no built in work surface, and now that I won’t have to work on the house (since I don’t own it), I might actually have time to do some woodworking.
My plan is for a Roubo style bench, made with dimensional lumber from Lowes, 6’ or so long. I’m shooting for a 3”+ thick laminated top (we will see if that works out or not) that is 24” deep. I was able to puchase 6 12’ southern yellow pine 2×8’s from my local Lowes for a little under $50. It took me about an hour, but I was able to find some that were fairly decent boards, though they were all quite wet. My plan is to rip these in half, crosscut in half, and end up with 16 boards for the top that I can laminate together to get my 24” depth, and then use the remainder to build my legs.
My legs will be constructed of 3 laminated boards, and attach to the top with 2 through tenons. For the stretchers, I haven’t decided how wide they will be, but I do know that I will be drawboring them in place. I will purchase the lumber after I figure out my leg spacing, etc.
This blog is going to be more for my own reference than anything else, because I want to document and later review what worked, what didn’t, blah, blah, blah. This will not be my forever bench, but I think it will be a good learning experience and a start.
Here’s my current progress:
The lumber pile (already ripped one of them, forgot to take the first pic):
The good ‘ol Radial Arm Saw I am using to rip the boards:
3 boards for the top glued up and in clamps:
Another glue up pic:
-- Jason K