I mentioned in the last entry how little I liked the screws in the top cap rail so I took a fellow LJ’s advice and I’m going to ditch the screws and use dowels instead. Problem is that there are marks from the screws so I need to do something to cover them up. I decided to inlay a diamond shape of walnut where the screws were and I will be drilling a hole through that to put in the oak dowel that will ultimately help hold the cap rail to the ribs of the boat.
I hope I can be more accurate with the placement of the dowels than I was with the screws I originally used. I laid out the screw locations on the template, but when I installed the rails, the pilot holes shifted and the screws didn’t align well with the screws already in the sides of the hull.
I also need to fix a little slip of the router that occurred when I was template routing the rails. I’m thinking I will just sand that area more to smooth out the transition, but if someone has a better idea, I’d love to hear it!
I have conceded that I won’t get this done in time for Christmas (sorry Jayne) so I won’t be working on it quite as much over the next few days so I can enjoy what’s left of my vacation time with the family without a deadline stressing me out. I don’t want this to go on forever, but I think I will enjoy the process more and be easier to live with now that I’m not so worried about a deadline. Hopefully this will clear my thinking and keep me from making future mistakes. We’ll see…