Now that the sides are on the boat, today was about getting some cap rails installed to hide the plywood edging of the sides and give the boat a more finished look. Easier said than done since this is a compound curve. I started by creating templates out of 1/4” hardboard by clamping it in place and tracing the shape of the sides to it.
Then I cut out the outside line, sanded to the line and drew in the inside dimension 2” from the outside line. Then I had to make one for the other side since they aren’t exactly the same. They fit onto some 1×6x4’ boards that I would later resaw to 1/4” thick so I could bend them. The resulting cap is 1/2”.
After lots of clamping the templates into position to get references for installation, I finally put the right side cap on with glue and two screws per rib.
I’m actually fairly disappointed that I had to use screws through the top cap. I would have preferred to keep it clean and fastener-free, but I couldn’t think of a better way to keep it on securely. I originally thought about pocket screws running up from the ribs to the caps, but the cap material isn’t very thick and besides, I hadn’t drilled the pocket screws before installing the ribs to the bottom, so there is not access for that anymore.
The other side will go on tomorrow and then there will be significant work to be done to fit the bow cap so it matches up with the sides. We’ll see how it goes…