I’m finally getting around to posting pics of the updated electrical work I did a few months ago. This was done before I built the shed, but I didn’t take pics right away. I added only two more circuits, but a bunch more outlets. Originally I was thinking I would add a lot more circuits, but I got a little more realistic about how much I would actually need since I would be the only one working in there at a time and it seemed that two additional circuits would be sufficient.
Before I added anything, there was a lighting circuit, a separate circuit for the two 120V 15 amp outlets on the ceiling for the garage door openers, two outlets on a 120V 15 amp circuit that is also feeds the two exterior outlets (front porch and back patio), and a dedicated 240V 20 amp circuit with only one receptacle. I wanted to add enough new receptacles to render the shared exterior circuit unnecessary in the garage since during Christmas time I have enough lights on that circuit that I can’t run any power tools on it too.
Here’s what I did.
This is the new line I ran from the electrical panel (which is behind the lumber rack). I added two new 20 amp 120V circuits and wired it like a kitchen with two appliance circuits that share a common neutral. This way I only had to run four wires: a red hot, black hot, white neutral and a ground. Since I was using metal conduit I had read that I really didn’t need to run the ground but could use the conduit as a ground, however, I decided to run it anyway.
The large junction box with four conduit runs out of it feeds the four different areas I put new receptacles. One is between the garage doors where the bandsaw sits. The 240V outlet on that wall brings power from the receptacle that was in the garage to begin with.
The next spot is the wall where my drill press and tool box sit. I plan to put in another receptacle (wired from the lighting circuit) to power the two beer signs, but just haven’t gotten around to it.
The next area is my workbench. I added two receptacles over the bench and there is still the existing (shared outdoor) circuit as well. I still use the existing circuit for lower power items like the radio and battery charger.
The final conduit run is to the wall where I will be building my new miter saw bench and storage cabinets.
I put in three new 120V receptacles and added another 240V receptacle tapping power from the existing outlet (the one on the right). The conduit run off the 240V outlet on the right that goes to the right feeds the outlet behind the bandsaw.
Each of the 4-outlet 120V boxes is fed by both new circuits. The duplex outlet on the left in each box is one circuit and the right is the other. This way I can manage which items are run on each circuit but still have access to each circuit at each location.
After the miter saw bench and storage cabinets are built, I plan to put up some pegboard along the entire length of the bench and thus hiding the conduit and leaving only the receptacles exposed for a cleaner final look.
I also finally picked up a dust collector.
It’s the Harbor Freight one and it seems to work pretty well so far. I do plan to upgrade the filter bag to a pleated filter canister and also build a cyclonic/baffled pre-separator. I decided to go with the Rockler Dust Right system for now and got the long 4’-28’ hose. It works well, but I will eventually plumb in a permanent system and keep the Dust Right hose for cleaning up the shop.
Stay tuned for the next storage project in the shop!