When autumn came and I started working in the garage with the doors closed, I realized how little light I have with the new shop arrangement. I started by putting up an eight foot long florescent fixture (4-four foot T12 bulbs) over the table saw/jointer area figuring I would re-evaluate where I needed light after that was up.
Then my neighbor tells me he can get me some eight foot long fixtures from his company since they were closing down a factory. So I ended up getting 3-eight foot long tandem florescent fixtures with the bulbs for $15.
What an improvement! Luckily, the garage already had a light bulb over each bay, so it wasn’t too hard to wire in the new fixtures to the existing circuit that is also controlled by the light switch for the garage.
Another item that desperately needed attention was finding a place to store some lumber, sheet goods and some other miscellaneous material.
These pics don’t even include the huge stack of cherry I just got from my in-laws, too!
So I got to work on a lumber rack that also has space behind to slide in sheet goods, and (when empty of sheets) provide access to the circuit breaker panel. This seemed to be the best compromise I could come up with.
I still have extra stuff that won’t quite fit, but it’s an improvement. I was able to make the whole thing with existing scraps which helped cut down how much I had to store. I was also able to get some more items stored away on the ceiling, but more work is still needed. I’d still love to build a shed, but that’s gonna have to wait.
I will be using some of the lumber on the garage cabinets, and then when the garage is squared away, I can get started on turning that cherry into a new dining table and chairs.
Now just for those cabinets…and dust collection…and more electrical…etc.