LumberJocks

Wall Hung Console #10: Adding the Purpleheart

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by captkerk posted 10-22-2009 at 09:49 AM 2237 reads 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 9: (in)layin' around Part 10 of Wall Hung Console series Part 11: The end is near! »

I was able to get the purpleheart inlay done on the end brackets. To make the curved purpleheart pieces, I used the template for the end brackets to trace a line on a piece of purpleheart then cut it out on the band saw. After sanding to the line on the disc sander, I traced a line 5/16” from the edge and cut that out on the band saw.

Purpleheart curve cut out

I then attached the piece with the inside curve to the movable fence on my drum sanding jig so the curved strip could pass by the sander with a little more stable support.

Sanding the curved strip

Once I got it down to 1/4” thickness and it fit in the slots I cut in the end brackets, I ripped it in half on the band saw to make two.

ripping the curves

Then I just needed to cut and sand the curves to fit the slots nice and tightly.

curved strips waiting to be fitted

Here they are dry fitted.

end bracket inlays dry fitted

And after belt sanding them flush.

inlays belt sanded

Now I turned my attention to the edge banding on the top. The curve for the front was formed a little on the long side so I could sneak up on the final cut to make it fit just right. First I had to get it close to fitting so I simply clamped it in place on one end and bent it up tight on the other to make pencil marks.

trimming the curved edge banding

There was a little more spring back on that front edge banding than I expected, but it’s still thin enough that it shouldn’t pose a problem when gluing it onto the top.

I was able to use the same gluing form I used to laminate the two edge pieces after trimming it’s length a little. Even though the curve was a tighter radius, enough clamp pressure drew the MDF form in to create a good clamping caul for the edging.

front edge banding glue up

After this dries overnight, I can start adding more edging to the rest of the front and the ends of the top. Now I have a bunch of sanding to take care of so I can see about finally doing some assembly!



3 comments so far

View CaptainSkully's profile

CaptainSkully

1190 posts in 2195 days


#1 posted 10-22-2009 at 03:51 PM

That ended up being a very nice touch.

-- You can't control the wind, but you can trim your sails

View captkerk's profile

captkerk

169 posts in 1878 days


#2 posted 10-22-2009 at 06:39 PM

Thanks, I thought the end brackets turned out pretty good too. There are a couple of gaps where the purpleheart didn’t fit perfectly, but hopefully I will be able to get them filled. I hope the edging on the top looks as good.

View a1Jim's profile

a1Jim

112028 posts in 2214 days


#3 posted 10-23-2009 at 11:10 PM

great blog very nice work.

-- http://artisticwoodstudio.com Custom furniture

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase