Wall Hung Console #9: (in)layin' around

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by captkerk posted 10-15-2009 05:27 AM 3388 reads 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 8: Mortises and Tenons Part 9 of Wall Hung Console series Part 10: Adding the Purpleheart »

I finally got around to working on the console again and I’m now jumping in with the inlays and edge banding the top to cover my biscuit mistake. I cut some strips of walnut and purpleheart to about 7/8” wide and 3/8” thick that would get sanded down to 1/4”. Since I don’t have a thickness sander, I tried out a jig I saw in an old FWW magazine to use a drum sander on the drill press to accomplish the same task on thin strips.

walnut and purpleheart strips

The jig is simply a fixed board on the work surface connected to a pivoting fence via a turnbuckle opposite the pivot point. Worked like a charm! Took a little bit of technique to get good clean results and next time I would make the pivoting fence a lot longer, but I achieved my goal nonetheless.

drum sanding thicknesser

With the strips sized, I could glue up the walnut and purpleheart that will make up the edge banding around the curve in the front of the top. I thought about just gluing the two directly to the top in one shot, but I thought this approach might help ease any strain on the glue joint with the edge of the top.

edge banding lamination

To calculate the size of the bending form, I downloaded a Spreadsheet Calculation Program which I found thanks to newTim and his Arched Bed Blog.

With that glued up, I started routing out a groove in the end brackets to accept a 1/4” purpleheart inlay. Norm routed just a round bottom groove on his, but I thought adding a little purpleheart inlay here might make my edge banding seem more intentional, rather than as a band-aid.

routing the groove

I used the straight edge guide for most of the grooves, but used the wooden stick guide that’s on the router in the previous pic to rout the curves.

cleaning up the grooves

I cleaned up and squared the corners of the grooves and cut the narrow bottom groove with some chisels. All that’s left is to add the purpleheart.

Adding purpleheart inlay

I had to leave the progress as it was in the last pic, but hopefully tomorrow I’ll have a little more to show. I was originally hoping to just bend one of the purpleheart strips into the curve, but after I refreshed my memory with the tightness of the curve, I know that won’t be possible. I will have to cut some curved strips and hope I can shape them accurately. That will hopefully be my next installment along with edging the top.

5 comments so far

View a1Jim's profile


117160 posts in 3633 days

#1 posted 10-15-2009 07:02 AM

Nice work great start

-- wood crafting & woodworking classes

View CaptainSkully's profile


1601 posts in 3614 days

#2 posted 10-15-2009 05:45 PM

Could you do a rubbing and glue that onto the purpleheart blank as a template pattern to drum sand to? This is a complicated project. You’re doing great. I can’t wait to see it come together.

-- You can't control the wind, but you can trim your sails

View captkerk's profile


170 posts in 3297 days

#3 posted 10-15-2009 06:38 PM

I was thinking about using the template I made to pattern the end brackets off of to give me a curve to work off. It probably won’t be exactly the right radius, but it will likely be close enough that I can bend the strip into place. After template routing one side, I will band saw the other side just over 1/4” and then use my handy little drum sanding thicknesser jig to sand the other side to final thickness. If this idea doesn’t work, then I might try the rubbing idea.

I don’t think I’ll get to it until next week, however since any time spent in the shop today will be to install some much needed lighting. I’ve been working with the garage doors open during the day all summer and I forgot how lousy the lighting is at night or with the doors closed.

View CaptainSkully's profile


1601 posts in 3614 days

#4 posted 10-16-2009 06:05 PM

Yeah, I added eight shop lights in my garage a couple of months ago. I took the opportunity to plug them all in with extension cords, which gives me eight power drops all around the garage. I hung the main extension cord across the ceiling to run the other bank of lights, so they all turn on by plugging in one end. Everything is on the same breaker, so it didn’t matter. I sometimes flip it when cutting through thick stock on the table saw while the dust collector is running.

-- You can't control the wind, but you can trim your sails

View captkerk's profile


170 posts in 3297 days

#5 posted 10-17-2009 09:31 PM

One of my neighbors just told me he can probably get me a bunch of 8’ dual bulb fluorescent lights dirt cheap from his company since they’re shutting down some of their operation. Looks like I might be able to get a whole bunch more light in the garage! I’m taking out the three little light bulb fixtures in the garage and extending the electrical boxes underneath to allow for running conduit to the new fixtures. I suppose I’ll post pics of that when I’m done, too.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics