I left the last installment realizing I messed up the dimensions on the end brackets and while I’d like to say that’s all behind me now, I haven’t worked on that yet. I played around on SketchUp a little and realized that I might be able to alter the curve on the end brackets even though I already rough cut them. Or I might just cut off the 3/4” I need to and leave it as is. I still haven’t decided.
What I did get done was work on making the curved front apron. I started by cutting out curves for a bending form on the bandsaw using the arc cutting jig I got from the band saw’s previous owner.
The console’s table top has a curve on the front of 66” and per Norm’s suggestion, I cut a tighter radius for the bending form to allow for spring back. I just took a shot in the dark and went with the original arc radius I tried to use of 61”. Hopefully that will work out for me. I’ll find out tomorrow.
After putting the bending form together, I could start getting the stock ready for the curved lamination.
Since I had to cut out part of a wide 4/4 rough board to get the walnut for the apron, I was able to make four 5/16” thick boards 3” wide for the lamination that were later planed to 1/4”. The remaining four boards were cut from a single piece of 8/4 rough maple scrap I had sitting around. I forgot to make an extra one for covering the face of the stack during the glue up, so I cut a strip from some 1/4” lauan ply I had on hand. I was then ready to try the first glue up.
Planing those boards to 1/4” should have been fairly simple, but planing boards that thin (in my planer at least) can be challenging. Two of the boards had a knot near one end and the grain pattern allowed the planer to catch that spot, break the knot out and kick the board back into my hand. Hard. The sharp corner of the board left me a little gash on my palm but it scared the heck out of me when it happened. I think sometimes I don’t respect the planer the way I should.
With the first apron in the clamps, I moved on to cutting out the table top.
I altered the dimensions again, this time shortening the overhang of the top over the sides from 1” to 3/4” on each side. Since my top is thinner than the original design, I think the shorter overhang helps keep the proportions looking better.
I also discovered another mistake when rough cutting the top shape. I didn’t plan out the location of the biscuits when gluing up the top.
Amazingly, I didn’t lose my temper, despite having ruined the front edge of the top. I got my biscuit joiner back out to cut out the biscuit so I could lay in a patch.
I cut a biscuit shaped patch piece from the fall-off waste when I cut out the top. I picked a piece that was directly adjacent to the spot in question and cut the shape and rough thickness on the band saw.
I then shaped the piece on the belt sander to closely mimic the biscuit shape, only oversized.
Then glued it in.
Tomorrow I’ll find out how bad the patch looks. If it’s still bad, I may have to try another “design feature” to hide my screw-up.