Well, the top is all glued up and belt sanded to flatten the ridges. The boards glued together quite nicely and it’s not very noticeable that I had to rip them into four boards instead of two. Since the lumber I had was all from the same tree, I was able to sequence match two boards to make the top and bookmatched them.
There were a few open knots that needed filling so I mixed a little dust with some epoxy and that’s what those globs are on the top. The repairs should look pretty good when sanded down. That will have to wait until at least tomorrow.
The center of the board ended up with a neat cat’s eye pattern with some interesting color variations, too. Should look pretty neat when finished.
Here are the templates for the two end brackets and the middle bracket.
For the smaller bracket, I used an upside down five gallon bucket to establish the curve and for the larger bracket I used a hula hoop. This was the first time I didn’t mind having those darn hula hoops laying around the garage!
I’ve been thinking about just leaving the brackets somewhat plain at the bottom and just stopping them at the end of the curve, but I put a little ogee on there when I cut out the templates just in case.
So here are the two end brackets all face-glued up (with sequence matching boards again to help hide the glue up).
In my rush to get something done, I cut those brackets out of the glued up board before thinking about possibly planing the board down further. Norm’s console had a 3” thick center bracket and 2.5” thick end brackets. All my brackets are currently 2.5”. I could still glue up another board to the center bracket boards, but since I’m scaling down some of the dimensions (since my top is only 3/4” thick instead of about 1 1/4” thick like Norm’s), I was thinking about making the end brackets thinner than 2.5”. I guess it’s too late for that now so I need to decide whether to leave the center bracket the same thickness as the ends or make it thicker like Norm’s. I just don’t want the brackets to look overly large compared to the thinness of the top.
Once I decide what to do, I will finish the rough cut out of the brackets and template rout them on the router table. My next step with this project depends on what dimensions I decide on for the brackets, then I can cut out the template for the top and lay-out all the details and measurements for the the project on it. Hopefully that will be the next entry, along with some more progress.