LumberJocks

Wall Hung Console #2: The first glue ups

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by captkerk posted 09-16-2009 06:42 PM 1298 reads 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: Getting started Part 2 of Wall Hung Console series Part 3: Some of the glue ups »

Well, I got started on the console by gluing up the boards for the top and the three large brackets. Since I had the lumber on hand and I didn’t want to go buy lumber, I’m gluing together boards to make the thick brackets (Norm of course had stock that thick).

I used a planer sled to flatten the boards for the brackets since they are too wide for my jointer. That went pretty well and I was planning to do the same for the wide boards for the top, but it was just too long, heavy and unwieldy to be efficient. Instead I ripped the two wide boards I was going to glue up for the top in half so I can get them on the jointer, then I will glue four boards together for the top. Here they are getting biscuit slots cut.

biscuiting the top

Unfortunately for me, the laws of physics apply in my shop and I wasn’t able to get a finished thickness of 1 inch from 4/4 rough boards. I think Norm’s table had a 1 1/4” top, but mine will be 3/4”. Because of that, I will probably alter other dimensions so that the whole thing will still look in proportion. The apron will be shortened to 3” from 3.5” and the brackets will shrink down as well.

Speaking of the brackets, here they are getting glued up.

bracket board glue up

You can never have enough clamps!

I’m trying to stay on top of the mess this time too and that’s tough without a dust collector. At least my dust collecting box works pretty good on the jointer.

jointer

Not so well for the planer.

planer

One of these days I’ll get a dust collector and rig up a collection duct for the planer.



5 comments so far

View Julian's profile

Julian

880 posts in 2990 days


#1 posted 09-16-2009 11:04 PM

Looks like the project is coming along nicely. A DC system makes a huge difference in keeping that pesky sawdust to a minimum.

-- Julian, Park Forest, IL

View captkerk's profile

captkerk

169 posts in 2705 days


#2 posted 09-17-2009 01:16 AM

A dust collector is definitely on the list, but since my little table saw has no dust collection provisions, it will have to wait until I finally upgrade the saw. I need to upgrade the electrical capacity in the garage, too, but I can make due in the meantime. Once I get the dust collector, the electrical upgrade will have to happen.

View a1Jim's profile

a1Jim

115202 posts in 3041 days


#3 posted 09-17-2009 05:12 AM

more progress keep on

-- http://artisticwoodstudio.com Custom furniture

View stefang's profile

stefang

15512 posts in 2798 days


#4 posted 09-17-2009 01:46 PM

Looks good so far. You mentioned a planing sled that sounded interesting and useful. Could you show it to us? I’m not sure if it was pictured. Please forgive my ignorance.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View captkerk's profile

captkerk

169 posts in 2705 days


#5 posted 09-17-2009 02:08 PM

I’ll be sure to get some pics of the planer sled. I got the idea out of a magazine, American Woodworker, I think. It’s simply a stack of 3/4” MDF glued together that the wide board sits on when going through the planer. The board is shimmed to keep it from rocking. After a flat side is created, the board is flipped and sent through the planer by itself to make a flat parallel second face.

I need to flatten another board in this fashion for this project, so I’ll get some pics.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com