So today was pretty fun. It ended up being a successful day at the shop making the inlay lines I was going to use. So for starters, I glued up using my vacuum press 4 sets of veneer sheets. The first 3 were black/white/black, and the last one was white/white/brown/white. The first is going to serve as the main inlay lines for the outside of the box, and the second will serve as the inlay lines for the inside of the lid and box opening. So here are all the sheets I was going to be cutting up.
The next thing to figure out was how in the world will I cut these. The table saw was the best choice, but I didn’t have a good way to secure the sheets. So I figured it would be easiest to do them all at the same time using some sort of fixture. This is what I came up with.
So it’s not much, but on the back side of the piece, I put a space board that the 3 screws go through that was the same thickness as the veneer layers. Then, the maple piece isn’t flat but rather is an arc, allowing for the force from the screws to be evenly distributed across the front and keeping the veneer flat and squeezed together entirely along the cutting surface. The general process that I’ll use is to cut for a little while, then reset the cross brace farther back, then keep cutting. I edged up one side on the belt sander, and then ripped the other to make sure everything is nice and square before proceeding.
So, the general cutting process was to put a piece of painters tape over the exposed edge, pictured on the edge on the left. I bumped the fence over the saw blade thickness plus some more for the thickness of the inlay strip.
And there you have it, a ton of little inlay strips ready to be used!
-- - Still a new guy to the craft, but always striving to learn more