Bent Form Guitar Stand #3: Putting the main pieces together

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Matt Nudi posted 07-27-2014 08:58 PM 1338 reads 1 time favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: Main support and the arched back Part 3 of Bent Form Guitar Stand series Part 4: Finally Done »

Got just a little more work done today. Got this piece glued up and it will be sitting for a day or two. After that I will be drilling out two holes and plugging them with dowels and then doing the work to get the main support attached and pinned. Once that is done I will be making the base and doing the final work and then finally, doing a finish. A lot of work but if I can keep moving like this I should get it done within a reasonable amount of time!

Next I had to pin the back with a dowel rod and get that piece sanded flush.

The next task was to create a bracket that sits where the main arch hits the base. This was a challenge because both sides that touched wood were curves and not flat so it involved a lot of sanding and tuning to get things lined up and glued together.

Next was to make the tenon at the top of the main arch and then cut and sand the holder piece that the neck of the guitar rests in.

Then finally, got the last arched piece clamped together to the existing frame and ready to start some sanding.

Today I made the form in order to make the base where the guitar sits. For the bottom section that the guitar rests on I was having trouble getting the curve how I wanted it freehand. So what I did was I took a classical guitar diagram and scaled it in photoshop according to where I wanted the base to hit the guitar at and then printed off the template on two sheets of paper and joined them together with tape. After that when I was at the shop I cut out my pieces of MDF I was going to use and used some spray adhesive to adhere the template I had made so that way I could make a nice clean cut and even curve.

The next thing was to finish making the actual form. After I cut out the top piece I added two more layers and then routed them with a copying router bit. Added on two more layers and then did it again for the final form. Then I glued a base across the bottom and then cut it to be more parallel with the top curve in order for the clamps to have a good flat connection. Here you can see the form as well as the three pretty thin sheets to be laminated in the background.

The glue up was kind of a pain. I ripped about a ⅛” piece as a top board in order to even out the clamping pressure for the curves. It took way more c-clamps to get everything pressed down than I expected but it looked like for the most part that it was a good clean connection. I just used regular tight bond on the piece but there isn’t that much of a curve and I honestly didn’t feel like mixing the resin glue today, lol. Tightbond should work just fine. Hopefully I’ll be able to take everything off the clamps tomorrow and get things sanded and attached to the main form!

-- - Still a new guy to the craft, but always striving to learn more

2 comments so far

View grizzman's profile


7782 posts in 2726 days

#1 posted 07-27-2014 09:18 PM

keep at it matt, im excited to see the final project done and a beautiful guitar resting in its place…:)

-- GRIZZMAN ...[''''']

View Matt Nudi's profile

Matt Nudi

121 posts in 1413 days

#2 posted 07-27-2014 09:20 PM

keep at it matt, im excited to see the final project done and a beautiful guitar resting in its place…:)

- grizzman

Thank you! I am definitely excited to get the project done and see some finish on the wood. Deadline is quickly approaching!

-- - Still a new guy to the craft, but always striving to learn more

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics